An archival VOC mindset? Archival issues within an early-modern context that is dutch-Asian
This program is component regarding the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives regarding the VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It handles a few of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them into the context of the 17th- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. As the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training additionally they functioned as a giant repository of valuable and key all about all kinds of activities in early-modern Asia.
The many staying VOC archives are comprised of several many types and even ”genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall outside of the confines of the collections, but they are closely associated with them, such as for custom writings review instance personal documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, consist and organised in various means, and current information with various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical perspective. In addition searches for similarities and differences when considering, regarding the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot(old that is read Dutch may make use of such other European documents, as an example those regarding the English East India business.
The pupil has acquired:
- 1 The capability to individually recognize and choose literary works, making use of conventional and techniques that are modern
- 2 The power to individually recognize and choose sources, utilizing traditional and contemporary methods;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources with a view to handling a certain problem that is historical
- 4 the capacity to analyse and assess literary works having a view to handling a certain historic problem;
- 5 the capability to separately formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the concept and way of the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately set up and perform an initial research study that will make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capability to provide a well-founded and clear dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever required, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements regarding the control;
- 8 the capability to take part in present debates within the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people additionally the capacity to assess the value of such critique and feedback on one’s very very own work and merge it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capability to be involved in a conversation associated with theoretical fundamentals of this discipline.
Learning goals, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one associated with specialisations or subspecialisations along with regarding the historiography regarding the specialisation, concentrating especially in the following; when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a society relates to its documentation heritage generally speaking and its own historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension associated with theoretical, conceptual and methodological components of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, having a specific give attention to the immediate following: when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning objectives, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough comprehension of the organization associated with VOC archives and exactly how it even compares to the organization of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to records of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough knowledge of how these different organisational axioms are pertaining to the goals and audiences of these materials and also the type and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives developed in a early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capability to create and execute initial research that raises new concerns, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand new guidelines for future research.